Sunday, 30 NovemberWeather Icon-1.68°C

Police Escort Withdrawal: PDP’s Samuel Anyanwu Seeks Protection for Key Leaders

Gift Eze

2 mins read

November 28, 2025

The National Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Samuel Anyanwu, has confirmed that the police escorts attached to him have been withdrawn as part of the Federal Government’s sweeping review of VIP security privileges ordered by President Bola Tinubu.

In a phone conversation with newsmen on Thursday, Anyanwu said he was not opposed to the new policy, noting that the police force has long struggled with insufficient manpower.

He argued that redeploying officers from VIP assignments could help strengthen general security nationwide.

“I support the withdrawal,” he said. “The country is clearly short of police personnel, and many officers attached to VIPs were not being properly utilised.”

Despite backing the decision, he urged the Federal Government to apply discretion and structure to the process, stressing that some categories of individuals—such as senior statesmen and top political officeholders—should not be left exposed.

“They need to prioritise,” he emphasized. “The authorities must evaluate the calibre of people, their responsibilities, and their level of exposure to risk. There should also be proper documentation and tracking of the officers being reassigned.”

When asked whether he planned to hire private security operatives as replacements, Anyanwu dismissed the idea, insisting that his political status entitles him to official protection.

“How can I rely on private guards?” he asked. “As a national officer of a major political party and a senator, I am entitled to police escorts.”

Instead, he revealed that he had already approached the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) to request personnel, expressing confidence in their training and professionalism.

“I’ve applied to the NSCDC for manpower. In fact, I prefer them—they are well trained,” he said.

Also Read: Abuja Community in Panic After Nighttime Kidnapping of Teenagers

President Tinubu’s directive followed a high-level security strategy meeting with the Service Chiefs in Abuja, signalling a broader overhaul of security deployments. According to presidential spokesperson Bayo Onanuga, the move aims to free up police resources and better address the country’s rising security concerns.

Latest News

Related Posts

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top
site logo

Gym

Join our newsletter channel