Sunday, 30 NovemberWeather Icon-1.31°C

Kebbi Abduction: Military Probes Sudden Withdrawal of Troops Before Terrorists Struck

Daniel Olumide

2 mins read

November 29, 2025

Nigeria Army Sentence Three Soldiers To Life Imprisonment For Selling Weapons To Terrorists

Security scrutiny has intensified in Abuja as soldiers previously stationed at Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, are being interrogated by Defence Headquarters following the abduction of 26 schoolgirls by terrorists.

A senior government official familiar with the inquiry told Punch that military authorities have opened a full-scale investigation into why the troops were suddenly pulled out from the school shortly before the attack. The incident, which occurred on November 17, saw terrorists invade the school, kill the Vice Principal, Malam Hassan Makuku, and abduct 26 female students. Two girls later escaped, leaving 24 still being held in the forest.

Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, has been vocal in demanding answers. After a closed-door meeting in Jos with the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, the governor disclosed that the state government had previously shared actionable intelligence with security agencies, warning of a potential attack on the school.

According to him, security personnel had been deployed based on the intelligence, raising serious concerns about their sudden withdrawal before the terrorists struck.

The senior official said Kebbi is now awaiting the outcome of the military’s internal probe, particularly regarding who authorized the soldiers to leave their post at such a critical moment.

“The military personnel who were stationed at the school have been summoned to Abuja for interrogation,” he said. “Defence Headquarters called them in on Monday. We are following the case closely.” The troops in question were reportedly drawn from the Army Barracks in Zuru.

Another security source confirmed that the summoned soldiers have already reported to the Defence Headquarters, noting widespread dissatisfaction within the security community over recent incidents in both Kebbi and Niger states.

“None of the security agencies handled the situation well,” the source admitted, adding that the investigation is still unfolding.

A senior military officer, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak, also confirmed the probe.

“The military hierarchy is reviewing everything. Everyone attached to the school will face questions. If anyone is found culpable, they will be held accountable,” he said.

Also Read: “Fake News”: Burna Boy’s Sister Refutes Claims of Bose Ogulu’s Dismissal

Another source within the military added that the recall of the troops was unsurprising, given the severity of the incident, but emphasized that the matter remains under active investigation.

Latest News

Related Posts

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top
site logo

Gym

Join our newsletter channel