
The Federal Government has filed a three-count criminal charge against former Kaduna State governor Nasir El‑Rufai, accusing him of unlawfully intercepting the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Department of State Services (DSS), was lodged before the Federal High Court, Abuja. Prosecutors allege that El-Rufai carried out the act in collaboration with others who are currently at large.
According to court filings, the Federal Government told the court that the former governor admitted involvement in the alleged interception during a televised interview on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on February 3.
El-Rufai, who previously served as Minister of the Federal Capital Territory under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, is charged under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024.
In the second count, prosecutors allege that the ex-governor was aware of the unlawful interception of the NSA’s communications but failed to report the incident to appropriate security authorities. The charge notes that El-Rufai is a prominent member of an opposition coalition critical of President Bola Tinubu’s administration.
The third count accuses the defendants of deploying technical equipment to intercept the NSA’s calls, an action the government says endangered public safety and national security and caused “reasonable apprehension” among Nigerians—an offence under Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The court is expected to fix a date for El-Rufai’s arraignment as legal proceedings continue.
