Kogi State Governor, Usman Ahmed Ododo, has warned that top leaders of notorious bandit groups have recently relocated into forest areas within Kogi East, triggering heightened concern over possible coordinated attacks on communities.
The governor sounded the alarm on Thursday during an interactive session with journalists at the Government House in Lokoja.
The briefing followed an emergency meeting of the State Security Council and extensive consultations with security chiefs and traditional rulers.
Ododo acknowledged that the surge in violent crime is part of a wider national security crisis, stressing that his administration would neither succumb to criminal intimidation nor entertain ransom negotiations.
“Insecurity is no longer a localised challenge; it’s happening across the world,” Ododo said.
“But we will not fold our arms and allow criminals to overrun our state. Intelligence reports indicate that major commanders of these bandit groups moved into Kogi within the last three days. We will not wait to be attacked—we will take the battle to them.”
He added that residents must remain alert, noting that public sensitisation and proactive security operations would form a key part of the state’s containment strategy.
Security Restrictions Take Effect Statewide
Following the council meeting, the governor confirmed that the State Security Council had approved the immediate enforcement of security timing restrictions across the state to help curb potential threats.
Amid growing tension and widespread rumours of an attack in Lokoja earlier in the day, the government moved quickly to calm nerves.
Government Debunks Rumour of Lokoja Attack
Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Femi Fanwo, issued a rebuttal dismissing the viral reports of a bandits’ invasion of the capital city.
Fanwo described the circulating claims as “baseless panic” fueled by mischief makers.
“The satanic panic being spread is without any foundation and should be ignored,” he said.
“Our people should go about their legitimate activities without fear. The government and security agencies are working tirelessly to ensure every resident of Kogi is safe.”
Also Read: NNPCL Reduces Price Of Petrol
The rumour, which surged around 11:30 a.m., disrupted business activities in parts of Lokoja—particularly the Zango, Crusher, and Felele areas—before the government’s clarification restored calm.
