Thursday, 19 FebruaryWeather Icon15.89°C

February 19, 2026

Feature, News, Photo, Politics, Trending

US Troops’ Deployment Signals New Era in Nigeria–US Security Ties — House Deputy

Abuja, Nigeria – The recent arrival of 100 US soldiers in Nigeria marks a significant milestone in bilateral security cooperation, the Deputy Spokesperson of the House of Representatives, Hon. Philip Agbese, has said, describing it as a “turning point” in the country’s fight against terrorism, banditry, and violent crimes.

In an interview in Abuja, Agbese explained that the American personnel, deployed to Bauchi State, are primarily tasked with training Nigerian forces and providing intelligence support to tackle terror groups including Boko Haram, Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), and other criminal networks.

“This development underscores the confidence the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has earned on the global stage. For the first time in recent memory, Nigeria is engaging a major global power like the United States from a position of strategic clarity and mutual respect,” Agbese said.

He praised the synergy between Nigeria’s Commander-in-Chief and US President Donald Trump, citing the Christmas Day precision airstrikes on terrorist enclaves in Sokoto State as evidence of decisive action against insurgency under Tinubu’s leadership.

Agbese emphasized that the partnership is practical, not symbolic, enhancing the intelligence gathering, operational capacity, and technical expertise of the Nigerian Armed Forces. He commended the new Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, and other Service Chiefs for boosting coordination, morale, and readiness among troops.

“Our armed forces are better coordinated, better motivated, and increasingly well-equipped. The ongoing reforms and strategic partnerships are already producing tangible results,” he said, acknowledging contributions from the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Waidi Shaibu; Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sunday Kelvin Aneke; Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas; and Chief of Defence Intelligence, Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Undiandeye.

Addressing concerns over national sovereignty, Agbese clarified that the US troop deployment was requested by Nigeria and aligns with national security objectives.

“The collaboration provides access to specialised technical capabilities to detect, deter, and neutralize terrorist elements. It reinforces that Nigeria is not alone in this fight,” he said, describing the evolving Nigeria–US security relationship as a new era of proactive diplomacy and results-driven governance.

He concluded that the partnership sends a strong message to those financing or aiding terrorism domestically or internationally: “The space for impunity is rapidly shrinking.”

Feature, Lifestyle, News, Sports

Anyone Guilty of Racism Has No Place in Football – Chelsea Boss Rosenior

Head coach of Chelsea, Liam Rosenior, has called for zero tolerance for racism in football, insisting that anyone found guilty of racist behaviour should be permanently excluded from the game.

Rosenior’s comments come amid allegations of racial abuse involving Vinícius Júnior during UEFA Champions League action earlier this week. Play was halted for about 10 minutes during Real Madrid’s away clash against Benfica after Vinícius reported that Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni directed a racial slur at him.

Prestianni has denied the accusation, while UEFA confirmed on Wednesday that it has opened an investigation into “allegations of discriminatory behaviour.” Vinícius, who joined Real Madrid in 2018, has been repeatedly subjected to racist abuse in Spain and across Europe.

Although Rosenior declined to comment directly on the ongoing investigation, he stressed that racism in any form is unacceptable.
“It’s upsetting,” he said. “When you see a player as distressed as Vinícius was, there is usually a reason. Any form of racism in society is unacceptable. I’ve been racially abused myself.”

The Chelsea boss, who is of mixed heritage, was emphatic about accountability in the sport.
“If any coach, player or manager is ever found guilty of racism, they shouldn’t be in the game. It’s as simple as that for me,” he added.

Rosenior also reflected on broader societal issues, recalling an open letter he wrote to former US President Donald Trump in 2020 following the killing of George Floyd, an event that sparked the global Black Lives Matter movement.

His remarks followed another controversy last week, when homophobic chants were reportedly directed at Chelsea supporters during an FA Cup match away to Hull. Speaking ahead of Chelsea’s Premier League fixture against Burnley, Rosenior said football reflects wider social divisions.

“There’s too much prejudice — based on sexuality, race, religion or nationality,” he said. “It sickens me. This is bigger than football. People need to be held far more accountable, whether on social media or in the press, if we are serious about stamping this out.”

Health, Lifestyle, News, Trending

Nigerian Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, Dies in Egypt

The Nigerian Navy has announced the death of its Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday at a hospital in Egypt, according to military sources.

Katagum was said to have travelled to Egypt for follow-up medical evaluation after undergoing surgery in September last year. Details surrounding his passing were not immediately disclosed.

A highly respected senior officer, Katagum had an extensive career in naval and defence service. He previously served as Director of Naval Intelligence, Deputy Defence Adviser in Paris, France, and held strategic roles at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

News of his death has triggered an outpouring of grief across the Armed Forces, with colleagues and senior officers describing him as a symbol of courage, discipline and unwavering dedication to duty. Many noted that his professional legacy and contributions to naval operations and national security would endure within the service.

Further details on funeral arrangements are expected to be announced by naval authorities.

Scroll to Top
site logo

Gym

Join our newsletter channel