Tuesday, 17 FebruaryWeather Icon6.27°C

February 16, 2026

News, Travel, Trending

UK to Roll Out eVisas for Nigerians from February 25

The United Kingdom has announced that Nigerian nationals applying for UK visit visas will, from February 25, 2026, receive electronic visas (eVisas) instead of the traditional physical vignette stickers placed in passports.

In a statement released on Monday, UK Visas and Immigration said the change is part of the UK government’s broader transition to a fully digital border system and a modernised immigration process.

Under the new policy, successful Nigerian applicants will access their visas electronically through their UKVI accounts, eliminating the need for passport stickers. UKVI, however, stressed that visa application procedures remain unchanged, as applicants must still submit applications, attend Visa Application Centres for biometric enrolment, and meet all existing eligibility requirements.

The agency explained that the update affects only the format in which visas are issued. Approved applicants will receive a secure digital record of their immigration status, while Nigerians currently holding valid vignette visas can continue to use them until they expire or are replaced.

According to the UK government, the shift to eVisas will deliver multiple benefits, including quicker passport returns, round-the-clock access to immigration status online, and improved security, as digital visas cannot be lost, stolen, or altered.

Reacting to the development, British Deputy High Commissioner in Abuja, Gill Lever, said the move would simplify travel for Nigerians. She noted that the digital system would streamline visa processing, strengthen security, and reduce reliance on paper documents, while reaffirming the UK’s commitment to welcoming Nigerian visitors, students, and workers.

UKVI also advised approved applicants to create a free UKVI account to access their eVisa and encouraged Nigerians to visit the official government portal for further guidance on the new system.

News, Politics

DSS Arraigns Ex-Kaduna Governor El-Rufai on Three Counts Over Alleged Phone Interception

 


The Federal Government has filed a three-count criminal charge against former Kaduna State governor Nasir El‑Rufai, accusing him of unlawfully intercepting the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Department of State Services (DSS), was lodged before the Federal High Court, Abuja. Prosecutors allege that El-Rufai carried out the act in collaboration with others who are currently at large.

According to court filings, the Federal Government told the court that the former governor admitted involvement in the alleged interception during a televised interview on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on February 3.

El-Rufai, who previously served as Minister of the Federal Capital Territory under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, is charged under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024.

In the second count, prosecutors allege that the ex-governor was aware of the unlawful interception of the NSA’s communications but failed to report the incident to appropriate security authorities. The charge notes that El-Rufai is a prominent member of an opposition coalition critical of President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

The third count accuses the defendants of deploying technical equipment to intercept the NSA’s calls, an action the government says endangered public safety and national security and caused “reasonable apprehension” among Nigerians—an offence under Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

The court is expected to fix a date for El-Rufai’s arraignment as legal proceedings continue.

Scroll to Top
site logo

Gym

Join our newsletter channel