Ngige Recounts Deadly Attack on His Convoy, Dispels Rumours of Death
Former Anambra State Governor, Dr. Chris Ngige, has narrated how his convoy came under heavy attack—an incident that claimed the life of a woman who was recording the confrontation.
Speaking to journalists after receiving a condolence visit from former presidential candidate Peter Obi, Ngige explained that the assault occurred while his personal aides were returning from various errands, including taking one of his vehicles for servicing.
Ngige, who confirmed he had been in Anambra since Saturday, dismissed social media speculation claiming he had died in the attack.
“As you can see, I’m alive. I am not dead, so there is no need for panic,” he assured.
Detailing how the violence unfolded, Ngige said his security team encountered the gunmen at Umuoji when they noticed suspicious vehicles speeding toward them. The attackers reportedly reversed, gave chase, and then opened fire.
According to him, the assailants wore police and military uniforms, which made the ambush even more deceptive.
“My driver had to outmaneuver them until the convoy ran into a shop. The attackers caught up with my police escorts, and after an intense exchange, one officer ran out of ammunition. They shot him in the leg, stripped him of his uniform, and took his rifle,” he recounted.
Ngige added that the attackers insulted the policemen, accusing them of serving a “zoo government,” which made him suspect a broader agenda aimed at destabilizing security structures in the state.
He said he had already contacted the Anambra State Governor, who assured him the gang would be tracked down, stressing that allowing such criminals to operate freely could endanger the relative calm the state has enjoyed over the past three months.
“We are entering the Christmas season. Our people will be coming home. This group has a pattern—operating in police uniforms and seizing weapons. They must be apprehended,” Ngige warned.
Also Read: Jonathan Shares Dramatic Evacuation Story as Tinubu, Ouattara Deploy Planes Amid Guinea-Bissau Coup
When asked whether he believed he was specifically targeted, Ngige said it was possible, given how recognizable his convoy is. However, he also suggested that the attackers might have simply been hunting for policemen to disarm.
“My pilot driver has driven me for 22 years; anyone who knows him knows I’m nearby. So, it may have been intentional. But it could also be coincidence—they may have just seen a convoy with police escorts and decided to strike. Either way, targeting me is pointless,” he said.











